November 13, 2009

Wrapping up the week. And my laptop.




I decided I'd wrap up Thrifty Gift Week here by wrapping up my laptop. Literally.

As some of you who hang out here know I am a novice sewer. On my good days I can sew a straight line. On my really good days I can sew a straight line and get through a project without consulting the Singer's user guide. So when I tell you this is easy, believe me it's true.


I know, I know...this looks a little more hardcore crafty but it's a very basic sewing project. Click here to check out Jean's adorably easy-to-make bags and her step-by-step tutorial. I believe my little Type A friend has whipped up about 107 of them. Give or take.

Definitely click here to follow her directions, because, um, I don't measure or have very good technique. I whipped this up today and with minimal supplies and a bit of patience, you can do this.


My decision to do a laptop cover was guided by finding this scrap of quilted goodness in the remnant bin at JoAnn's:


You don't need a lot of fabric at all so I pulled two remnants out of my pile (you can use one piece if you want to make the inside and outside the same, but two pieces will allow you to use smaller remnants).

I will share the highlights (though that word's a bit of a stretch!) of my project...

Where Jean's directions call for fusible interface, I replaced with the quilting.

Make sure you allow for the depth of the laptop (and seam allowance. And I still can't believe I know what "seam allowance" means!). And since every laptop is different you're going to need to get your paws on the measurements for your recipient's.


You lay your fabrics out just as Jean tells you...nice sides kissing (right sides together), and then stick the quilty stuff (or batting) underneath...


You're going to sew it all together (all sides except the top), and flip it inside out so that the nice side are facing out, and the quilt is on the inside.

Since I, er, you haven't measured, stick that laptop in there one more time just to be sure it works out. Fold up the bottom...and you'll top-stitch the sides to form a bit of an envelope:


The top flap needs to be sealed shut, so you'll fold the flaps in an inch or so, and top stitch that, too:


At this point even I broke out a tape measure. I placed a piece of Velcro in the middle of the flaps that would come together to seal the case shut...


I never sewed Velcro before, and it was a bit of a pain not too bad. I sewed around twice, just to be sure it would stay in place.


It actually didn't look too bad at all once I finished...


...but I made sure in advance that I had a gigantic button ready to cover it right up...


Did I have problems along the way? You betcha.

Like when this happened...


...because when the quilted fabric folded into an envelope it was pretty thick, and my machine is far from a pro one.

And I knocked over a tray of snaps that I painstakingly had pieced together earlier in the morning.


But I had Project Runway on in the background, and when Tim Gunn told me to, "make it work," I did.

You can do smaller fabric envelopes for gift cards, make-up bags, pencil cases...the possibilities are endless.

But please follow Jean's tutorial. Because I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Monday - Tie one on! Bags from vintage men's ties.
Tuesday - DIY cake stands.
Wednesday - Bake up a thrifty gift.
Thursday - Tea for two

13 comments:

Local Girl said...

Laura you rock! That is a brilliant tutorial especiallly for novice sewers like me! But what a great gift to give to someone. Thankyou for all your hard work contributing to Thrifty Christmas, it's been really appreciated this side of the Atlantic xx Happy Thrifty Christmas to you!

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

That is just too cute! I love it! I wish I knew a thing or two about sewing...I'm going to try to tackle a sewing project in the next month or so, but sure would rather be hiring someone to do it for me, lol!

Courtney said...

Ah, Laura...you always speak my language. You actually made me think that even I could possibly create something this cool! And that in itself is a gift. :-) Btw I really dig the fabric you used...genius!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Girl, I am impressed! I can't believe you know how to do this, Laura. It's SO cute! Great job!

And we didn't get the storm. We had some wind last week. It blew pretty hard, but no serious rain. We needed the rain. There is a storm that hit Texas that brought some flooding rains. I can't figure out this weather. We finally got some chillier weather which is wonderful. I actually turned on my heater this morning for about five minutes to bump the edge off the cold. We froze at 68 degrees! ;-) It actually got down into the high 50's the other day, and I went out and bought a coat. I'm out of town and had to go to a party that night so didn't have clothes to stand chilly weather.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Keetha Broyles said...

I saw something very similar to this on someone else's blog several months ago - - - I thought "How clever!" and now that I see it here, I'm thinking that SAME thing again.

I THOUGHT about trying to make one for myself - - - even though I am not ONLY a novice sewer, but I HATE sewing besides - - - but decided that my less decorative but highly practical laptop carrier probably works better for my needs.

But - - - I sure do LIKE yours. It's an envelope for lappy!

Aimee said...

What a great idea! I love that it's easy, but yet has a great function and look. This has been a really fun week of ideas. Thank you!

Jean Martha said...

LOL! You crack me up? I don't have the patience to be Type A.

The case looks great. LOVE the button.

Rue said...

I absolutely love this!! And, I have to say, you are burning up the sewing skills! ;) You are doing terrific!

Rue said...

I absolutely love this!! And, I have to say, you are burning up the sewing skills! ;) You are doing terrific!

Purple Flowers said...

You are better than you think you are. Congratulations; your finished cover looks marvelous!

Beach House Living said...

Looks fab and much easier to make then the one I tried. I feel your pain with the bunching!

j.cro said...

Great work! I really need to get my sewing machine fixed.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It looks so easy that I think I could do it! Of course I'd have to buy a sewing machine first, which is probably not going to happen, so you'll just have to open an ETSY store ans sell them :-)

Loved all your crafts, Laura!