August 15, 2008

All work and no play.

Work and a road trip with the mister to Pennsylvania (to help clean out/organize a house owned by his family that's headed to market) has kicked my behind. And to add insult to injury I ended my commute week very late last night on a train chock-o-block with loud, inebriated passengers. On their way home from a Neil Diamond concert. Sometimes the world is so unkind to me.

So I'm a bit behind on the blog (and sleep!) front but my mom's gotten a kick out of the extra mileage (and wonderful comments) her baby picture has gotten in my absence. It's all good. And thank you for your kind wishes...she read each and every one. Probably two or three times. :-)

As the result of an ill-planned late day caffeine jolt, I updated my blog header in the middle of the night this week. It's not perfect, but that sort of suits me. And if you knew the software (or lack there of) I cobbled it together with you'd either gasp in horror or applaud my craftiness. For the designers among you it would surely be the prior. Props to
Please Sir for spotting it on her own mere hours after I uploaded it. And Hooked on Houses noticed it today, too, so for Olympic Fever purposes Julia gets the silver medal. Good job!

Now...on to the really good stuff. There was a piece of furniture we spotted in the
Antique Emporium of Asbury Park a few of weeks back. The old 1930s china cabinet had solid wood (walnut or chestnut? They said chestnut, I say walnut.) doors and was a nice, usable size. Not too big, not to small. The $295 price tag wasn't too shabby either. But we've pretty much gotten all of our major furniture purchases in so really don't have the room or the need. I was bummed.

The following week I was still pining for walnut, and was surprised to see it still in its place right inside the store's front door. I thought for sure someone would scoop it up. I suggested maybe we could shift around pieces in one of he bedrooms to make it work. "A dining room piece in a bedroom?"

Obviously the mister doesn't watch enough HGTV to know that with creative furniture placement, all things are possible. But he was right -- he reminded me that the bedrooms are on the small side so we need to keep furniture to a minimum.

Last weekend he popped in the room I was in to announce, "I have an idea but I don't think you'll like it."

Whoa. Was he selling his business? Moving to China?

There he was, my sweet man, measuring the living room and moving around furniture to show me that it could fit perfectly against a wall where a palm tree I bought was perched. He wasn't sure I'd be OK with moving the tree.

This is one of the many reasons I love him. He made it work. The cabinet was coming home. We raced over to store...they were locking up, but the lovely coffee klatsch of ladies running the show went back back inside -- the piece was still there -- to make the magic happen. Behold, beauty:



I moved some stuff on top temporarily but I'm also pretty psyched for this new display perch that I've "inherited" along with the cabinet! We're going to drill a small opening in the back and make this our stereo cabinet, so the piece will be as functional as it is lovely to look at.

One of the "side effects" of having this home together has been the unexpected, yet welcome ways renovating and designing our home (and, in a way, new life) has brought us closer together. Yay, team Shore House!

21 comments:

Linda Lou said...

absolutely beautiful piece-did you really only pay $295.00 for it? I have an antique oak buffet from the dining room in my bedroom-it works, buy what you love!!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

linda lou...can you *believe* $295?! And it was right inside the front door of the store for at least 3 weeks. We can't believe no one bought! There's some slight warping on the top...but I'm too short to see it. :-)

Linda Lou said...

lAURA - THANKS FOR VISITING CUCINA CARA MIA RECENTLY. THE RUSTIC ROOSTER IS A COOL SPOT FOR BUYS,FURNITURE, BEACHY ACCESSORIES, BUT NOT LIKE THE ONE YOU GOT THOUGH. TRY THE SPINACH PASTA SALAD WITH WHOLE WHEAT-I HAVE DONE OTHER SALADS WITH IT AND IT GIVES IT A HEARTIER TASTE. ENJOY!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And what a deal. And how lucky that it was still there for you to pick up; I bet your heart was racing until you got to the store!
Love the new header, by the way. :-)

Jean Martha said...

It's gorgeous!!!

Props to the hubby for realizing how much you loved the piece.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Woo-hoo! I'll take the silver.

I love your new furniture. It's gorgeous! So great that your husband made it work.

I cracked up that the inebriated party passengers on the train were coming back from a NEIL DIAMOND concert. Ha. Didn't expect you to say that. -J :-)

j.cro said...

I LOVE the new header!!! It really is SO you!!
Congrats on the furniture score! It really does go perfectly in that spot. Maybe the palm can go up to the third floor to help circulate oxygen better during workouts? Just an idea.

By the way - pining for walnut - HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHH

You are very clever my friend, very clever.
xo

Kristin said...

I can't believe it was under $300! Such a pretty piece.

Maureen said...

A great deal all the way around - not just the furniture but a husband who made it work. Superb!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Laura, you DO have an awesome husband! Mine would never do that. And what a beautiful piece you've got...gorgeous! I love it that you younger girls are buying antiques too. It's a classic & you can keep it forever..great price too. It looks like a perfect fit to me. I've got an older china cabinet in my DR too, with glass in front that I fell in love with about 10 years ago.

Rhoda

Rue said...

Hi Laura :)

I would have moved the BED out of the bedroom to make room for THAT piece LOL This is a great spot for it and it's GORGEOUS!! I'm positively green ;)

rue

Rue said...

Oh and good job Laura's hubby :)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Laundry gets the bronze in the Header Graphic rotation! :-) I'm glad you like it!

I love...Isn't it (and he) pretty cool!?

Julia: Neil Diamond! I've heard Sweet Caroline more times in one night than I care to the rest of my lifetime.

j.cro: thanks for catching "pining..." ;-) And...palm is faux. Shhh! They'll take away my "green" card! :-)

kristin & maureen: right?! I can't believe the whole "package." :-) I am very lucky.

rhoda: I totally agree with you. Even when I was still in school I was combing thrift stores and yard sales. My first "real furniture" purchase was an antique ice cream parlor table (that I use as an end table.). I love the look, the history, the whole "upcycling" concept...everything about old furniture!

rue: hahahaha! TOTALLY. Bed, shmed. ;-)

Fifi Flowers said...

That is a FABULOUS piece! Kudos to your mister!

LOL... you know... I did notice something was different about you site... I popped over late the other night and thought hmmmm... did she put a new header... what was tht old header... I can't remember... maybe this was here before... time to go to bed was my best answer... LOL... The NEW header is FUN!
Have a great weekend... come back shopping! :) I think there is some cheese and wine in the shop... we can visit too and bring your friends!

Blogger said...

That is such a sweet story and I love that cabinet, it's sooo gorgeous! :)

Bella

Anonymous said...

wow what a price for that, too good, it's a beautiful piece, i bet you were so pleased it was still there, love it when that happens, racing heart lol!

your hubby sounds like a sweety, I've got one like that too (puts up with me getting him to do stuff for this cottage all the time)

Sarah

please sir said...

Love the new display! I hear ya on feeling behind in the blogosphere - good luck1

Ms. Tee said...

That piece is just beautiful - and what a great hubby. :)

beachy in the burbs said...

Laura, that's gorgeous! My Mom put a piece of furniture that's similar in my old bedroom at home and she keeps all these guest towels and stuff for me and my hubbie when we visit. Also love your new blog header too :) Your husband sounds like a sweetheart!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

That is a fabulous piece. FABULOUS.
Behold the beauty, indeed!

xoxo
Melissa

Anonymous said...

what a deal. And how lucky that it was still there for you to pick up