June 27, 2008

Mad props!

I am *totally* giving myself mad props for this one.

So, I was walking home from work minding my own beeswax. Out of the corner of my eye I see a "Props for Sale" sign in the window of Tinsel Trading Company. The store was closed for the day but the window was chock-a-block with vintage shelves, racks, suitcases (!), buckets, baskets and even a super old dressform – with a $10 price tag hanging from its muslin-lined armpit!

I froze in my tracks. And I really do mean that literally...not for the benefit of sucking you in to my story, dear readers! The store opened at 9:45 the next morning. I decided to go to work super early (it’s amazing the things that incent me) so I could bolt out on a recon mission.

I scooped up some good swag (at least in my eyes!). These sap buckets ($3 each) will be filled with ice to chill beverages on the front porch. Or, to hold the sunflowers that will grow from the seeds I planted last week (I’m not going to hold my breath on this one):



This little table ($4) will also be a great al fresco dining accessory. I love its flaky patina (almost as much as I love using the word patina):

The salesperson pointed out that the price was low because, “it doesn't bend or stand up so well anymore.” Honey, that's OK. Neither do I! I need to do some work on it but I’ve temporarily rigged it with the twine we use to tie up newspapers. I’ve convinced myself the "rope" makes it look nautical.

Lastly, I picked up these gigantic vintage blooms for $2 each:

I’ll probably use to dress up a gift, or maybe to accessorize something like this recent Etsy purchase:

I hemmed and hawed over the vintage suitcases that were marked $10, and when I came back later in the day, they and the dressform were gone – along with most of the other stuff in the prop sale. I can’t say I was totally disappointed – the thought of dragging those bigger items home on the train wasn't rocking my socks.

If you’re in midtown you should stop by – Tinsel Trading Company is moving to 37th Street from its home of the past 45 years on 38th Street, and almost everything’s now on sale. It’s a great store run by Marcia Ceppos and
founded by her grandpa 75 years ago. I love that “mom and pop” shops still exist – in Manhattan! I don’t know how they’re able to do it in “this day and age” (I’m sounding more and more like a little old lady lately, I swear), but they do, and they do it well. It’s like stepping into a shop in a quaint seaside town, right in hustle and bustle of midtown Manhattan. A personable and helpful staff guide you through the beautiful floor-to-ceiling shelves and vintage store fixtures (that I hope are going with them in the move!) that are bursting with beauty, from antique appliqués to fancy fringes and everything in between.

It’s great place to pop in if you just need a yard or two of a very fancy trim to complement the nailhead edge on your vintage boudoir chair, or for a D.I.Y. gift like these fabulous slippers in their book, Beautiful Bedrooms with Ribbons and Trims.


They also have beautiful gifts and greeting cards so it’s a great place for me to pop in to between office and train to pick up a quick "happy birthday," or, "thanks for walking my crazy dog while we were out of town" present.

Plus,
Martha Stewart shops there. I should have just started with that. Way more interesting.

7 comments:

j.cro said...

HOLY SHNIKEY!!!! I need to get over to this place!!! I better figure out which day next week I can get there, being that it's not so close to my office.

By the way, I love, love, LOVE that flower with your new bag!!!! Trés magnifique!

Courtney said...

fab finds Laura!! alas, New York's about as far away from me as it could possibly be. living vicariously through you again... :-)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

j. cro - I can take a recon mission for you to make sure it's not picked clean.

courtney - you still have wayyyyy better yard sales than we do!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a fun bargain shopping experience!! I love your finds...that's too bad about the dressform. :-( I fell IN LOVE with one at a local antique store; dreamed about it for weeks, then finally went to see what the price was and it had a big fat "NOT FOR SALE!" sign on it, ARG!
Oh, and I can't wait to dig into the latest Cottage Living. I shall be keeping an eye out for the mailman until it comes!

heidi said...

I used to pop in there all the time, when I worked across the street. It had the most dizzying effect on me, all the ribbons & pretty, shiny things. Glad they are still staying in the neighborhood!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Thanks for stopping by, heidi! And, yes; I think a little vertigo sets in when you try to soak up all that colorful goodness at once!

Jean Martha said...

Cool! That's close to my office...will head over there soonest and get some more bits & bobs.