April 29, 2011

Wee William's Big Day


My grandma was from Liverpool. As a result, I knew a LOT about the British Monarchy at a very young age. My Christmas and birthday gifts were often quite regal.










And I've inherited some interesting pieces.



(Our family jewels are of the faux variety. But a gal can dream.)

I just wrapped up (intense! busy!) work in London and was happy to spend some time combing the shops for Royal Wedding 2.0 memorabilia to bring home. I was super excited to come home this week to this, sent from a colleague across the pond...


I had a vivid dream about my British Grammy the other night which really didn't surprise me. I'm hoping she'll visit again tonight so we can sit down to a "proper cuppa" (for her, that would have been a cuppa milk) and have a chat about the nuptials. Though I'm sure Grammy would still be hung up on
Kate's see-through dress. (I also saw a sketch of Harry's date's alleged dress for the wedding. Bare shoulder! In Westminster Abbey! Tsk.)

I've had some nasty computer issues (our home PCs...plural...are a hot mess) and I've actually started to snail mail people. I'm like a luddite blogger. The good news is, we're going away today and I'm looking forward to zippy hotel WiFi. The bad news is, our flight takes off in the middle of the Royal Wedding.

Travel fail.


Hope you're all well! Looking forward to seeing you again.

12 comments:

Local Girl said...

Love your Grannie's influence :) I hope you enjoyed the wedding and have had a safe trip xx

black eyed susans kitchen said...

I did not know this little bit about your history! You get more and more fascinating. I recorded the event and just finished watching it...oh those hats!! It was a lovely wedding and they actually appear to be in love. Enjoy the big easy and I will see you on Friday.
♥, Susan

Joyce said...

Have a fun trip! The wedding was beautiful too. xo

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Thanks, ladies! It literally took me over an hour to cobble this post together due to our crap computer connections!! (I should dedicate a post to Cablevision, our local provider.) And yes Susan -- I am an international woman of mystery, lol!! I still haven't seen the wedding but woke up to Mike (!!) reading to me about it from his laptop. I've converted him to a Royal watcher. Grammy would be so proud. ;-)

Beach House Living said...

Wow to have an invitation how cool is that?

Karena said...

Laura wonderful background you have and some great souveniers!!

It was a day we will never forget!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Anonymous said...

Laura,

Love that you have such fond memories of your Grammy and such special gifts to treasure. I adored Kate's and Pippa's dresses. Andrew's daughter's looked like they wondered off the set of Cinderella and they were cast as two of the evil stepsisters!

Hope you had a wonderful time away and that your internet issues are now resolved. We've been experiencing the same. Out here on the farm, we may as well have two tin cans and a string!

Your Friend,
Deborah

Anonymous said...

OH that dress, Lord have mercy, haha. Hadn't seen that one before!
I woke up too late, but was able to catch the end and then see clips. I can't believe you had to be in the air during the wedding!
Hoping your computer issues get worked out because I LOVED checking "just in case" and seeing another post! :)
Have a great week Laura!
Jen

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I was so glad to hear from you, Laura, and I hope you get to see the wedding very soon. It was so wonderful, and I adore Princess Catherine. Of course, I adore Prince Wm., too, and the two of them are like a matched set of wonderful bookends. I think these two are going to make it. The whole world is pulling for them!

How wonderful that you've been in London. We adore it! And we haven't been in about twenty years. Time to go back! We've had English guests here, and we thoroughly enjoyed them. They were delightful. I would love more than anything to have a little nest over there, but I don't believe that is going to be possible. So I dream and look at cottage properties in British shelter mags.

Thanks for the well wishes and the prayers. I'm trying to pace myself with blogging, and I hope that will help. I don't like not being able to sit for long stretches right now, but if I pace it, then I'll hopefully be back to my regular routine soon.

I hope you get your computer woes solved. It's hard being without! But somehow, snail mail is good, too.

All my love from the magpie nest to the Shorehouse! Hope Shorehouse Mom is doing a lot better, too.

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

P.S. I love your collection, and I love the fact that you had an English granny! :-)

Maureen said...

How great is that collection!

I watched every.single.minute of the event. And I cried like I was a relative. I thought of Diana the whole time and thought, she's not going to let it rain on her prince's big day.

Hope you had a great trip.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I bought a Royal wedding mug in Northern Ireland on my recent trip, and a 1990 Queen Mother birthday mug in a market in Belfast. Fun collectibles! I knew you were part Scottish but not also English!