March 07, 2010

Things I've learned in Colorado


So far, I've learned that waking up to a snowman outside of your window is a great way to start a day...


...that signs like these are just a suggestion to some people...


...and that the view on a gray day is still better than the view from a desk any day.


I learned when the sun shines on the mountains it is breathtakingly beautiful, and in a town this high up in the sky you feel like you could hug the clouds and kiss the sun.




I also learned that the thrift shops aren't open on weekends (that was a bit of a buzz kill, I admit)...

...and that waking up early on Sundays to have Nutella and banana crepes should be compulsory.


I learned that our friends' seventeen year-old son is pretty rad (or whatever it is the kids today call it) and I also learned that I think I am still seventeen, judging in part by the way I dress on a ski vacation.

(Notice the trifecta of ski vacations on the counter...peroxide, Band-Aids and sunscreen.)

I learned that Colorado is very dog friendly, and that people take their dogs everywhere (to work, to the ski slopes, to Happy Hour...). And that made me happy.



(That is a full-sized garbage pail. And a gigantic dog.)

And I learned that the folks back home are still as amazing as ever. I got an email from Beach House Living saying that she was once again donating to my Help for Haiti 2 auction. And look at the fabulous earrings and hand-stamped ribbon from her Etsy store that will go to the winning bidder:



The current high bid for the entire package of items is $100, and you have until 11:59 p.m./ET on March 10 to bid. You can choose to donate to the Haitian or Chilean relief organization of your choice (or split between charities). And think of all the gifts you can tuck away (or keep for yourself)! Plus remember: I'm matching the winning bid dollar-for-dollar and making a donation to the babies of Hudson Cradle. So click here to bid...and thank you in advance for your generosity.

There you have it. From 12,998 feet in the sky. Be back soon!

14 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Have fun skiing! I'm quoting my hubby "most fun you can have with your clothes on" and I'll leave you with that!

Joyce said...

Enjoy skiing! My "hat" goes off to you my friend for all that you are doing to raise $$$'s for Haiti. Many hugs... xo

preppyplayer said...

Rip it up!
Love the pics and I think you could pass for 17!
I can with my goggles, gator, helmet and form fitting black ski clothes!!!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

So happy that you are enjoying your vacation! The pictures look great and it is wonderful to see you so relaxed.
♥, Susan

Beach House Living said...

I sat happily enjoying your Colorado photos and things I've learned narrative and liked that you included all the canine companions. The last thing I expected was to see photos about donating to your Help for Haiti auction. Thank you. Keep enjoying yourself.

j.cro said...

You look so cute in that photo! And thankfully we still feel 17 in our minds - I'll tell ya' - after surfing two days in a row my back certainly doesn't feel 17 anymore! I'm sure you can relate via skis. Have a great rest of your trip and safe travels.
See you soon!
xo

Shorely Chic said...

I just came back from a Colorado vacation and loved it - the people there are so friendly and the scenery is breathtaking. My bf and I said we'd definitely live there, but I'd miss the beach too much!

I have pics up on my blog, too: http://shorelychic.blogspot.com

Rue said...

Wow!! I love your ski vacation look, especially that hat! And, I love all the dog photos!! The huskie by the garbage can was *huge* :) Have fun skiing and travel safe!

Lorrie said...

So glad you are having such a great vacation Laura--I really like all the photos. Enjoy your time to the max!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Laura!

Whew....looks like great fun! I've never been to Colorado and have never skied. I'm waiting to do that in heaven where I won't need to worry about another broken leg. :-)

Enjoy!
Spencer

heidi said...

Damn, girl! You look so happy & relaxed! I'm not lissening to any more of those " I'm so stressed, I'm SO busy" emails. ;-) xoh

Anonymous said...

those pictures are incredible...time flies...seems like you were *just* there LAST year!!

Tina said...

I've never tried skiing . It looks so fun, but I'm a clumsy chick and impending disaster on the horizon which is probably never kept me off the slopes.
I smiled at what you've learned in Colorado.
Blessings
T

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Gosh I missed so much of your blog while away! I'm glad I got a chance to catch up tonight, Laura! Don't you LOVE Colorado? I do!