July 24, 2009

Where'd she go?

Little unexpected break. Be back soon! In the meantime, there sure is plenty to keep busy with in the shore house neck of the woods this weekend, should you find yourself in the area...

Thanks to Lauren for telling me about the auction at the old Asbury Park carousel on Saturday. Preview begins at 2:00 p.m., auction starts at 4:00 p.m.



Speaking of auctions, it’s hard to resist an auction at the estate of a man they call Mr. Monmouth County. “George H. Moss, Jr. was a widely known, highly regarded author, consultant and historian of, predominately, 19th Century Monmouth County, NJ. He had amassed highly specialized collections of early 19th Century Monmouth County, including books, illustrations, ephemera and memorabilia…” His bio’s pretty fascinating (click here to read) and certainly sounds like some fun objets d’art will be up for bid. Saturday, July 25, starting at 10:00 a.m. (preview Friday), 39 Rumson Road, Rumson, NJ.

Rock-n-roll legend Leon Russell plays the Wonderbar in Asbury Park tonight. Wild horses couldn’t drag me away. Doors 7:30, show time 8:30. Tickets $30.

It’s Art on the Boardwalk in Ocean Grove, Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., rain or shine. Featuring 74 artists displaying and selling their work. Oils and acrylics, pastels, watercolor, mixed media, pottery, sculpture, photographs, paintings on floor cloths, jewelry, etchings and paper collage.

“Volare…oh oh oh oh.” Bobby Rydell and fellow former teen idols Frankie Avalon and Fabian take the stage at Ocean Grove’s Great Auditorium on Saturday night. Tickets are $40-$45 and available at the door or online.



I can’t wait to see the documentary Herb & Dorothy and am thrilled that The Showroom, the new indie theater on Cookman Avenue (Asbury Park), will be screening the NJ premier of the film on Sunday at 5:00 p.m. A post-reception follows at the very cool Parlor Gallery across the street. All that for $10.

With the exception of Mr. Monmouth County's house, it’s all within a ten minute walk of my front porch.

And this is why I love the shore house.

8 comments:

Audax said...

Love your blog and the posting about the old owners visiting the old home stead is very touching and made me a little teary also. I admire your charm in your posting and the love you show for your home and its history and how you are adding to it. Wonderful mantle also - sounds like to me you are really loving doing it up. And thanks for visiting my blog and my macaron posting and your nice comments. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

Mrs. Limestone said...

I was at the carosel last weekend and there was a little antique market in there. I got there late so there wasn't much of interest but I'll definitely be back again. Had no clue it was there.

Speaking of last weekend - there was some kind of rainbow beach party going on. Holy - never saw so many buff guys in one square of sand in my life. I know they weren't looking back but they made people watching a lot more intersting :)

j.cro said...

If I'm not surfing in North Carolina this weekend maybe I'll bump into you around town? I hope so!!!

Purple Flowers said...

Rumson is well...Rumson. I'm sure alot of goodies are in that home.
Best wishes for alot of fun!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Have fun, Laura! And if I were there, I'd be running to see Leon Russell. Love that man, and I keep one of his cds in my player! I'm about to wear it out. LOL!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Connie from Beverly Hills California said...

Sounds like you will have a great weekend. I too luv Estate Sales. All kinds of treasures!! Connie

supplies overflowing! said...

Funny! I stopped at the flea market on Sunday at the carousel- in fact, I was at the boardwalk for an anticipated arts and crafts show but it had been cancelled!
(See my blog)
Wish I'd known about Ocean Grove. Too bad I didn't stop here first!

jenny
By the way, we both know Susan, of Black Eyed Susan's!

supplies overflowing! said...

oh yes- and I stopped at the auction on Sat., in Rumson too- late in the day though. Not much left.