June 22, 2009

April, May and June Showers...

...bring lots and lots of flowers. It has rained a lot...a WHOLE lot..these past few months. In fact, on Sunday we tried to remember when we last saw the sun. Last week of May, maybe? It's a blur.

While my mental state may be suffering as a result, the garden I planted only one year ago hasn't suffered a bit. It's grown leaps and bounds:




I planted this mum last year. It was a gift from a friend and I planted it at the end of the fall, but wasn't sure I'd see it come back. This one not only came back, it's up to my waist and it's only June. I figure by the time it blooms in the fall it may be the size of, I don't know, the house maybe?



The only things not growing well are the sunflowers. Go figure.

Speaking of flowers, to try and chase away the rainy day blues I went to Shop-Rite and bought these three for $10 flowers...



...and made myself a little bouquet of sunshine. 'Cause apparently it's the only sun I'll see for at least the next several days, so says Accuweather.

Now that I know Shop-Rite has such cheap flowers, I think I'll be sneaking spider mums and daisies into my cart with the toilet paper and windex more often. I actually had fun trimming and arranging. (Maybe "fun" = "stir crazy"?)

I also made some of the most delicious scones I've ever tasted. A friend recommended a recipe from Cook's Illustrated when I told her I had a pint of blackberries and nothing but time..since I'm clearly not going to the beach any time soon. Which maybe is a good thing because I ate two of these yesterday, so I'm further away from stuffing myself into a swimsuit than ever.


I hope there was a little sunshine in your weekend. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm almost looking forward to going to work today...

22 comments:

heidi said...

omg... that scone looks SO good. THAT & an iced coffee & I wouldn't need another thing.

Joyce said...

Our days have been like this one day rain, one day sunshine etc... Some of my flowes/plants are doing really well and others are getting water log.
I love your garden!! Of course the scone photo too! I love scones!!

Enjoy my friend- xoxo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Laura, look at your garden! It's so pretty! And I love your flower arrangement. Are those spider mums? I love them! And that scone looks delicious! Sorry about all of your rain. We've had some wet weather, too, and a freakish storm that took out two trees. Have been dealing with all of that.

Love to you today and always...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Purple Flowers said...

Love love love your garden. Everything is so lush. My garden is the only thing that is benefitting from all this rain. I have lavender that is huge, and the daisies, oh the daisies. :)

I have clean closets, and am reading alot, but I crave the sun.

Tina said...

Your perrenials do look wonderful! I love how a garden evolves and grows more lush. I sure miss my garden.
Enjoy and good job on the self therapy ie: getting that vase of sunshine in those flowers into your home.
Have a blessed day
T

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura!
Yesterday, the sun popped out in my parent's yard for about 45 seconds...you can believe I BASKED in it! 10 day forecast has rain every.single.day. And it's been that way for awhile. I think I'm going to mold.
Homemade scones, and I agree with Heidi...iced coffee...that sounds like a plan to me! Might just brighten my day a bit!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

I feel your pain...literally! Blech to the weather already. We barbqued in the rain last night..I am a little tired of the soggy stuff.
♥, Susan

j.cro said...

Bite your tongue! Work, shmerk! The flowers and scones look fabulous. I think the sun is out today - just in time to sit in the office all day. *sigh*

Maya said...

My plants too (planted by husband of course)..., they seem to be quite content with the sun behind the clouds and flourish in the rain, so unlike me.

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Just found your sweet little blog!!! Sorry about the rain...some of you girls are really having the wet weather lately. "The Sun Will Come Out, Tomorrow", ( hopefully)... xoxo~Kathy@ Sweet Up-North Mornings...Stop over, The sun is shing in the north!

abeachcottage said...

goodness laura, only wishing my garden looked like that

we have had lots and lots of rain here too, bit sick of it really

hope you are doing well, popping over to catch up

Sarah

Sue said...

Hi Hi....daughter said how much it's been raining...so much so that they went to take Miss B to see Night at the Museum over the weekend and it was sold out and lines around the block...I told her be lucky it's just rain...Last night at 11:00 it was still in the high 80's here....coming home from gorcery shopping yesterday it was hovering around 100 degrees....I would rather have rain!!

Sue said...

I forgot to mention how amazing those scones look...I have blackberries in the freeze. I'm on way over to get the recipe..

Allidink said...

You're so funny...size of your house LOL. I can't believe you're not getting any sun! Wow! Well I know it's been hot everywhere so at least it's not hot LOL. That scone looks so yummy. I am going to check it out!

All the best,
Allison

desiree said...

This coast has been overcast and dreary...no rain just gloomy...we got a little sun today but I need some hot weather to get my tomatoes!

Love the spider mums and your garden looks great. Can't wait to see your cantaloupe sized mums in your garden!

Jean Martha said...

Sun. I am desperate...

Maureen said...

that garden is simply beautiful. i am green with envy. no pun intended. i want a greener thumb. :)

Heather said...

Your garden looks great! What a terrific job you've done!

Kwana said...

I'm so glad your garden is holden up in all this. Mine is looking like weed city. And the scone is fab. I'm so impressed!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Laura, well your garden sure looks lush from all the rain! Us, well our rain has just stopped & now we are dying for some sprinkles. It's been almost 2 weeks & hot, hot weather, so not a good mix.

Your blackberry scones look delish! I know they are. Thank you as always for your very sweet notes. Don't know WHEN we'll ever come up that way. Maybe when the stepson gets settled in a new job we will come up for a visit. Not holding my breath though.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Those scones loook too good! I want one now!

muralimanohar said...

Lord, those scones look amazing. Do they have eggs in them? When I tried to look, they wanted me to do the whole signup process before letting me see the ingredients..