September 22, 2008

Red Bank or Bust.

A big thanks to Black Eyed Susan’s Kitchen for reminding me (via her comment in last week’s flea market post) that both Red Bank and Oceanport had town wide yard sales this weekend.

So with Susan’s reminder, it was up and at ‘em for me for on a Saturday for a change. The man knew something was array when I was tucked in the car with my travel coffee mug at an hour when I’m still typically sleeping off Friday Night Margarita Mania (that’s not an officially sanctioned event; just something that takes place on our front porch rather regularly on Fridays).

Now, the difficult thing about a town wide sale in “towns” like these….is that they’re not one horse towns by any stretch. They’re HUGE. Red Bank’s sale even came with a complicated road map that I figured – best case scenario – would have taken me (with a car) five or six hours to get through if I went to every house.

Oceanport was first on my drive, and since I really wanted to get to Red Bank I decided to hit just one cul de sac where nearly every house had a sale going. It’s where I wound up making my only purchases of the day, and while they’re not very exciting I took a picture for full blog disclosure. :-)



Nothing special, but at a grand total of $4.60, not too bad.

The globe was $3. I have no idea why I bought this. But today I saw Rhoda “Queen of the Yard Sale” (of
Southern Hospitality fame) used one quite nicely on her entertainment center so I’m sure I can find a suitable home for it.

The framed oil seascape was $1, and I thought I would pop it out of the frame to hang au naturale. But there’s something charming about the faux bamboo (but real wood) frame. There’s a good chance this painting may not make the cut but for a buck I figured I’d give it a shot. Could be destined to be the next blog giveaway…

The basket in the top photo was 50 cents, and I’m using it to make a “cocktail hour basket” for a raffle donation.

The win of the day: That box of mismatched red and silver ornaments for…10 cents! A dime! Suddenly my dollar bag from last week’s flea market doesn’t seem so cool any more. The seller had tons more, but I’ve maxed out my holiday ornament needs.

Red Bank, for me, was a bust. It was so spread out, and by the time I wound my way there I think anything good was gone. There were tons of kids’ toys and clothing, neither of which I have a use for. And I seriously started to get a headache from the road map I was trying to follow, so I think I lost focus. I’m curious if my other Jersey Girl commenter
Lauren was able to pack her CRV this go ‘round. :-)
I did wind up in a part of Red Bank I’d never been before, and was totally loving the big Victorian houses. I took pictures so I’d have something to show you…





All things considered, a pretty full day cost me less than the price of a fancy latte so I guess it wasn’t a total bust. Did anyone else go on treasure hunts this weekend?

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Laura,
I really like the globe and the basket!

Love your photos of Victorian homes!
Diane

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh Wow, Laura I really loved those houses! We almost moved to Middletwon NJ years and years ago --lomg story why we didn't -- I should have looked in Red Bank!

I love that painting -- very rustic and beach housey.

Hugs, Pat

beachy in the burbs said...

I love that painting! I miss yard sale shopping in Jersey :) Good yard sales are hard to come by here in DC.

Ms. Tee said...

I liked your "full blog disclosure" photo. :) Even if you didn't find anything at the 2nd sale, you got to see those pretty houses!

Anonymous said...

I would have picked up the globe too, nice basket, a good find most of all the frame and the pic tho, very nice if you find the right place for it

oh god are you trying to kill me with the pics of those homes, a town sale and those homes I would be like a woman posessed roflmao!!!


S

Lauren said...

Great finds! I really wanted to go!! But my son had a band competition that day. I thought I saw a sign for Neptune for Oct. 4 but I can't find anything on the internet about it. Town wide sales can be addicting. This weekend is Highland Park. :)

heidi said...

oh the houses.... beautiful!!!! Who knew red Bank was sooo pretty?

Liz Harrell said...

I cant believe you got all that for under $5! And those houses! Sigh. I want that last one.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Laura,

Another great haul! The globe, the basket, the paintng, the ornaments... you really have some finds there!

Thanks for taking us thrifting with you and for the tour of homes.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

The painting is great. I once got a steal on a seascape painting (canvas only) on a yard sale ages ago and it's been hanging in each home we've lived in. You never know what pieces become timeless.

/// said...

Oooh I LOOOVE the globe--- and for $3? Great job!!! :)

Jenni said...

Hi Laura~
I really like the globe, and you got it for a great deal! Oh, and the ornaments are sweet! :) I also love the pictures you took of the houses~ they are amazing homes! The first one is my favorite. :)

Have a good night! :)

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Hi Laura, thanks for the mention in your post. I also found some vintage ornaments at the sale. I actually did better in Oceanport, but it was all pretty exhausting and in the end, I felt a little guilty for using up so much gasoline. I agree with you about the great houses in Red Bank. That picture of the fist house is my doctors house! I love her color scheme with the purple and blue. Susan

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, girl..I love your globe too! You'll have to find the right spot for it. And I really do sorta like that ocean oil too. It's cute & could look very good in the right place. Good for you, I love seeing all the treasures the rest of you find too.

Thanks for the mention!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Those old Victorian houses are beautiful. You got some great finds, as always. I mean, you can beat those prices. Wish I could go on one of those treasure hunts with you! -Julia

Tina said...

Love the house pics and your finds are great!
T

Jean Martha said...

I love that picture frame!!!!

Maureen said...

I think I am meant to live in that fourth house, the one with the yellow mums.

please sir said...

Wow - looks amazing - and those houses!! Love the globe - such a great find!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Hi everyone:

I'm glad you enjoyed Red Bank's lovely homes! It was overcast so the pics really don't do justice to these beauts.

The globe seems to be the winner for the weekend, but the painting a close second (interesting! I wasn't even sure I liked it!) so thanks for your feedback!

pat...you were oh so close! ;-)

lauren...the good news is, you really did not miss much. Highland Park...Hmmmm....;-)

susan...I can't believe that's your doctor's house!! It's a small (blog) world after all. I loooovvveee the colors on that one.

pve design said...

Does garbage hunting count. I always find some trash to treasure to give a good home!